Will and Tessa's first time meeting each other.
- Will: You cut me.
- Will: It might be fatal.
- Tessa: Are you the magister?
- Will: Magister? That means master is Latin, doesn't it?
- Tessa: I.. I suppose.
- Will: I have mastered many things in my life. Navigating the streets of London, speaking French without an accent, dancing the quadrille, the Japanese art of flower arranging, lying at charades, concealing a highly intoxicated state, delighting young women with my charms...
- Will: Alas, no one has ever actually referred to me as 'the master,' or 'the magister,' either. More's the pity...
- Tessa: Are you highly intoxicated at this moment?